Since I've radically changed my work VM configuration, I needed to change my home PC in order to connect properly to the new setup.
Before we dive in, a brief review of the old setup: the host at work, which we will call `audia`, ran a VirtualBox guest named `dev`. dev had its own set of configs and configuration knobs so that I could write
127.0.0.1 dev.audia.pc dev
into /etc/hosts, point Firefox to dev:10080, and code running on dev would be able to recognize "this is development," not require TLS, and know that
is the URI root of the app. I configured VirtualBox's port forwarding to listen on 0.0.0.0 from audia, and when I connected to the VPN, my home computer (call it `starlet`) had its own /etc/hosts listing that used the internal IP of audia for dev. The same URI from home would then get connected via port-forwarding to the dev VM.
This all changed when I wanted to test a SAN certificate and some redirection rules. I didn't want certificate mismatch errors in Firefox, and I needed dev to think it was the production server so that it would use the production ruleset. That became the underlying justification for devproxy
. After that point, dev had the production certificates, hostnames, and rules. It had a host-only network added, which audia now used, and I took out the port forward. (This was the problem behind getting Lost in the Complexity
But without the port forward, starlet can't reach dev anymore, only audia. Of course, I came up with a solution:
(Despite what may be implied, the VPN isn't connected to starlet. I just didn't feel like redrawing the whole tube.)